WEEKS BEFORE MOVING:
- Tour your house and decide which items may
be discarded, donated or sold at a
- Arrange for school records to be
- Begin using perishable food items since
they cannot be transported.
- Use flammable items or give them away
before you move. They cannot be transported.
WEEKS BEFORE MOVING:
- Post Office: Give forwarding address.
- Charge accounts, credit cards.
- Subscriptions: Notice requires several
- Friends & relatives.
- Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in
- Arrange Credit reference.
- Notify company of new location for
coverage; Life, health, fire, auto.
- Gas, light, water, telephone, fuel, cable
- Get refunds on any deposits made.
MEDICAL, DENTAL, PRESCRIPTION HISTORIES
- Laundry, newspaper; change-over of
CHURCH, CLUB, CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS
- Ask your doctor and dentist for referrals;
transfer needed prescriptions, eyeglasses,
X-rays. Obtain birth records, etc.
- Transfer memberships; get letters of
- Ask about regulations for licenses,
vaccinations, tags, etc.
DON'T FORGET TO:
- Carry enough cash or travelers checks to
cover the cost of moving services and
expenses until you make banking connection
in new city.
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself; or
use registered mail.
- Plan for transporting pets; they are poor
traveling companions if unhappy.
- Carry travelers checks for quick,
- Let a close friend or relative know the
route and schedule you will travel including
overnight stops; use him/her as message
- Make final check of every room and storage
- Leave all old keys needed by new tenant or
owner with REALTOR or neighbor.
AT YOUR NEW ADDRESS:
- Empty freezer; plan use of foods.
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator.
- Have appliances disassembled for moving.
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving; have
- Check with your Moving Company regarding
insurance coverage, labor, arrival day and
- Check on service of telephone, gas,
electricity, water and cable TV.
- Check pilot light on stove, hot water
heater, incinerator and furnace.
- Have appliances checked.
- Ask letter carrier for mail, they may be
holding for your arrival.
- Have new address recorded on driver's
- Visit city offices and register for
- Register family in your new place of
- Register children in school.